Saturday, July 30, 2005

In-N-Out Burger: What an Austin hamburger could be about!












I keep having this recurring fantasy that somehow I am able to convince the famiy that owns the In-N-Out hamburger empire out of Baldwin Park Calif. let's me open up a store for them in Austin Texas, where I have been living for the past ten years. Everytime I go out to California for a family visit, I can't count how many times we stop in for a Park-N-Wait burger. I say that with tongue in cheek because regardless of how much I love In-N-Out burgers, they're name is
very misleading. It's more like In-N-Wait-Wait-Wait-Out. But it's oh so worth the wait.

And so I envision the massive lines and profits, as I manage the company's one and only store east of Nevada. I checked the website and no, they don't franchise. I suppose if I could get them to trust me, maybe they'd let me open up a store, but it seems like the empire is limited to three states: California, Nevada, and Utah. And from what I can tell the only way I could gain their trust would be to provide proof of church attenance and quoting the proper biblical scripture, as the owners are reportedly quite religious, and print cryptic references to biblical scripture on their packaging.

So until my next trip out west, I can only dream. And to my fellow Austinites, no Whataburger doesn't even come close, nor does Dan or Fran!