Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Meditation Versus Prayer

I am beginning to realize the greatest spiritual practice is mediation. If prayer is sort of talking to God, I would characterize meditation as listening to God. Calming the restless chatter of your mind is key to tuning into the bigger picture of who/what we are, and escaping the selfish demands of the Ego.

A friend of mine asked me to pray for her. And while I am inclined to oblige her, I tend to question its true usefulness. I do think prayer can be powerful because I put in the same category as "think good thoughts." It puts out a good vibration. But I shy away from the idea of God as some sort of magic genie there to respond to transitory requests of favor. I think perhaps the most appropriate prayer is not for external events, but for inner peace, wisdom and understanding.

I might add, though, in the interest of full disclosure, that I am apt to ask this friend to pray for me. I guess because this makes her feel that she is helping out, and doing what she believes is the appropriate response in the situation.

But still, as Jim Morrison says in the intro the Soft Parade, "You cannot petition the Lord with Prayer." To me this means, that the divine is not some sort of magic genie ballot counter, as if prayers were votes or signatures on a petition drive.

Your comments?