Monday, February 05, 2007

Road Prayers

Rolling down the 210 en route to the Sierras
Stirs quaint & not so dear memories on this open road
Friends faraway & friends fallen into the long soft night

Where Weisman roams, in the hills overlooking Glendale
Further farther still, Sylmar beckons just beyond the blood soaked streets
Where Rodney King grimaced, twitched beneath the batons of L.A.'s finest.
Skalestky's brood up against the mountain, ragged crags of rock & stone
I remember these days & nights of music fond memories still

farther up we roll past the cemetery where sweet Carlos he lies
beneath the San Fernando sky

these are the days I say my road prayers
w/ Roky Erikson calling forth a memory of Jefe
& me & Dharma, ol Richard yes, dancing in the Broom's lair
To "Don't Slander Me."

I say my Road Prayers to Robert, yes,
The Zimmerman. He blares out my IPOD, all pirated sounds
I think what fascinating & awesome days to come of age
To think these are my songs, just for me, these wanton blissful tunes.

My songs, the song of love, the troubadour he loves to sing
Loves to make the critics wince, the naysayers cry, while the poets still dare to dream
this song they sing.

Like a child they say
Seek first the kingdom, yes I do
I believe in You.

Belief is a beauty thing.
Kerr promised a miracle, & the ghost in You
knows how to ring
The Bells inside the Mission's scene.

like a mission in the rain
the ghosts they still find time to complain
to ridicule and throw flames & scream

terminal adults, these cantankerous creatures think they possess the keys
like Valley People who rise up & ream
The Peaceful Children of the Hills, who seem
So happy, blissful with a golden treasure eyes have never seen.

let those who have ears now hear
let's make this argument loud & clear
there can be no sanctuary for those who have not learned the fine art of
forgiving

all that they see
& all that they hear
in the heat of the violent night
& upon the birth of a bright new day

comes a smooth silk saviour
who knows all the tricks &
rules this game from someplace deep inside
the forest beneath the torrential rain.

road prayers
for my friends, who play
in the shadows
or in the light of the coming day.