Wednesday, December 27, 2006

The death of a president ...

The death of Gerald Ford takes me back, back to the early 1970s and my own nascent awareness. I was 11 years old.

I remember the day Nixon resigned. I remember standing in the breezeway of our house; my mother coming outside urging myself and my friends like Bob Hezlep to come in and watch T.V.; that Nixon was resigning. I and my friends could care less.

I remember perhaps a year earlier, I had taken a vacation to Washington D.C. with my mom and dad and older sister Jill. We were visiting the House of Representatives and my mother pointed to Gerald Ford in the chamber saying that man would be the next Vice President as Spiro Agnew had just resigned.

I remember being at the beach for our summer vacation and seeing a headline of a magazine inside a store on Balboa Island. The headline read: Impeach Ford? It�ll be a cold day in hell. This must have been before he had actually pardoned Nixon.

I remember the campaign posters from 1976 and thinking that with Ford/Dole you had the opportunity to vote for a car and a pineapple.